Safety Relief Vent Tool
Notice: To sign up for for the automated Tool Users Group mailing list, please click here.
All pressure vessels utilized in refrigeration systems require overpressure protection to prevent their catastrophic failure. The principal means of overpressure protection is through the methodical design, installation, and maintenance of a pressure relief system.
The simplest pressure relief system will consist of a pressure relief device (e.g. pressure relief valve, fusible plug, rupture member) and interconnecting vent piping. In some cases, additional relief system components may include three-way valves, relief headers, and components to absorb (or destruct) vapor relieved from the system (such as water diffusion tanks or flares).
There are two commonly-referenced codes relevant to the design of relief systems used in industrial refrigeration:
- ANSI/ASHRAE 15-2010: Safety Code for Mechanical Refrigeration
- ANSI/IIAR 2-2008: Equipment, Design, and Installation of Ammonia Mechanical Refrigerating Systems
The purpose of this tool is to determine the standard compliance of existing pressure relief systems, from the vessel through the relief device to the exit vent. This software tool was developed by IRC Associate Scientist Todd Jekel and Mark Geurts.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITIES: THESE FILES WERE PREPARED BY THE IRC. NEITHER THE IRC, NOR ANY PERSON ACTING ON BEHALF OF THEM:
- MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS, OR IMPLIED,
- WITH RESPECT TO THE USE OF ANY INFORMATION, APPARATUS, METHOD, PROCESS OR SIMILAR ITEM DISCLOSED IN THESE FILES, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR
- THAT SUCH USE DOES NOT INFRINGE ON OR INTERFERE WITH PRIVATELY OWNED RIGHTS, INCLUDING ANY PARTY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, OR
- THAT THESE FILES ARE SUITABLE TO ANY PARTICULAR USER'S CIRCUMSTANCE; OR
- ASSUMES RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF THE IRC OR ANY IRC REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) RESULTING FROM YOUR SELECTION OR USE OF THESE FILES OR ANY INFORMATION, APPARATUS, METHOD, PROCESS, OR SIMILAR ITEM DISCLOSED IN THESE FILES.